Friday, October 25, 2013

WHY DID APPLE LOSE ITS HUMANITIES?

THE cASE CONNECTING THE LIBERAL ARTS TO TECHNOLOGY-EVEN IF YOU'RE THE BIGGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD.


When I read this article recently I immediately flashed back to 1989 when my good friend and housemate, Chris Bell, and I developed a concept at developing workshops on "global education" in schools and social settings.
It was our hope to get support to teach kids to understand the world more and more from a "we" perspective rather than a parochial, "I" and "you" are different so I need to "outdo you".
Our short-lived fundraising networking tour took us to a place I would never have thought of "Apple", to be more precise, "Apple University".
We spent an entire day with two fascinating Apple-people, just talking about our idea, our vision, our backgrounds and our hopes.
It was really strange getting so much time from a hi-tech company and even more strange to figure out what was "in it for them".

After reading this article I can re-connect… Apple used to believe that technology does not live alone but it is engrained in the life, mind and culture of human beings.
That was 25 years ago… according to this article, it is no longer… too bad, I thought it was really a fascinating journey to somewhere different, one close to my heart and vision…

No comments:

Post a Comment